St Drostan’s is the fourth Episcopal Church to be built in Glenesk. It was built on 1879 by Lord Forbes in memory of his brother, Alexander Penrose Forbes, Bishop of Brechin. The Church is an Incumbency, and has its own constitution which originally dated back to 1877, but which was updated in April 2009 to take account of requirements the Provincial Model Constitution and charities regulations.
Located in the church grounds is St Drostan’s Lodge, a self catering establishment, sleeping 17 persons, which provides low cost accommodation for groups and families, of all denominations, in the heart of Glenesk.
The church business is managed by a committeeof Trustees. Rev Jane Nelson is Priest in Charge and also has responsibility for St Drostan’s Lodge bookings and her husband Peter is Secretary and Treaurer. Jane and Peter also look after maintenance and deal with housekeeping issues at the Lodge.
There is a Eucharist on Easter Day, on our Patronal Festival, and at 2.30pm every second Sunday between Easter and October. Groups using the Lodge also hold their own services from time to time.
The church is open to visitors at all times and is well known as a place of peace and spiritual tranquillity.
Since 2005, the church has been involved with the local rural primary schools and additional persons have been recruited to the Vestry.
We normally hold a Picnic and Pilgrimage on our Patronal Festival in July, which is open to all.
1684-1716 Robert Thomson
1723-1758 David Rose
1763-1766 James Brown
1766-1782 Alexander Davidson
1783-1840 Peter Jolly
1840-1871 Alexander Simpson
1871-1914 William Presslie
1914-1918 Percival Aldous
1918-1921 William Beveridge
1921-1942 Charles Wimberley (Fasque)
1942-1946 Edward Millar (Montrose)
1946-1953 John Bisset (Drumtochty)
1953-1978 Geoffrey Hick (Brechin)
1978-1985 Ian Hay (Brechin)
1985-1992 Michael Bunce (Brechin)
1992-2005 Sidney Fox (Brechin)
2007-2015 David Mumford (Tarfside)
2005- Jane Nelson (Priest) (Tarfside)
An architectural description of the church can be found at the website of Scottish Church Historical Research by clicking on this link.
We have transcripts of the above registers dating from 1839,1838,1841. If you would like to receive a PDF copy please use the contact form.